Tuesday, November 12, 2013


Climbing for Cancer- Varian: One of the largest radiation oncology equipment manufacturers, Varian, supports RadiatingHope with their 'Partners in Giving' program in which they match their employees donations to RadiatingHope. Varian has three employees who will be climbing Kilimanjaro in March 2014 in an effort to support RadiatingHope, cancer patients, and a future hospital in Tanzania! 

Varian climbers with RadHope board member, Dr. Arno Mundt


Megan-  I am very passionate about cancer care! I hold a place in my heart for the survivors and the patients struggling to get through treatments one day at a time.  My sister-in-law who is my age, was diagnosed 2 years ago with breast cancer.  She endured chemotherapy and radiation, only to have it reoccur within the same year.   She endured round two of treatments and just recently finished.  She was given a second chance and will get to see her daughter grow up be there for her family.  Not everyone is given a chance to even fight cancer.  Life is about something bigger and I think everyone should be offered a chance to battle cancer.  I am honored to be joining Radiating Hope to help bring a chance at beating cancer to a community where one does not exist yet. 


 Beth-28 years ago I was just finishing x-ray school, I found out that my childhood friend, Tracy was diagnosed with a brain tumor, that could not be treated with surgery but with radiation therapy.
At that moment, I knew if I could help just 1 person not have the fear of cancer as a death sentence, I could make a difference. I chose to make my career as a Radiation Therapist.
Tracy was treated with radiation therapy, she had a lot of side effects due to drugs to help keep swelling down, she did pretty well after treatment for awhile.
She never made it to her 16th birthday, She never learned how to drive a car, get her high school diploma, or have her first boy crush.
This is a memory that drives me everyday to do what I can for cancer patients, and this is why I am compelled to climb Kilimanjaro; to help the people of Tanzania have a chance at cancer!
Every step I take preparing, working out and climbing Kilimanjaro my thoughts are with cancer patients struggling with cancer and the survivors that have met cancer and beat it!

 
Mt Kilimanjaro, the rooftop of Africa!

Karim-I am truly humbled for the opportunity to participate in the efforts of Radiating Hope.  I am so thankful and grateful now that I am building relationships with the Radiating Hope organization in order to fully realize the creation of an open-source online JRCERT (Joint Review Committee on Education in Radiologic Technology) accredited Radiation Therapy School which will support the efforts of Radiating Hope’s ongoing mission of building Cancer Centers in the developing world.  My goal resonates with Varian’s vision of saving lives as well as supports Varian’s Access to Care initiate.  I am happy to donate my time & my talent to strengthen civil society while servicing humanity with my Radiation Oncology knowledge as well as my abilities as an Educator.
Naomi- Hello,I’m Naomi Moreno. For as long as I can remember, I’ve had a desire to work with non-profit organizations. A co-worker suggested I partner with Radiating Hope. I looked into the organization and appreciated their efforts in bringing cancer care to undeveloped countries. (Radiating Hope is currently bringing cancer awareness to Moshi, Tanzania in Africa.) I wasn’t quite ready to join their group until coincidentally, I stumbled upon an unexpected news article.
 I took a trip to Spain, and woke up to the African newspaper at my front door. The cover story was about an uninformed African woman who had bumps protruding from her breast; she had NO clue that it was cancer. This article quickly made me realize that the residents of Africa need our help to raise cancer awareness. I felt an immediate desire to join Radiating Hope and their Tanzania Project. I’m very excited to be part of this collaborative team. I’m even more excited to make a long lasting difference in Tanzanina!  

No comments:

Post a Comment